Have you ever made use of a thermostat with Wi-Fi capabilities? Can you compare the performance with that of a thermostat with no Wi-Fi connectivity? Without any doubt, the performance is incomparable. With a Wi-Fi enabled thermostat, you will be able to monitor and make changes wherever you are.
Once your device has been set up and connected to the manufacturer’s servers, you will be able to enjoy real time monitoring whether you’re at home, work or on the road.
Here we review some of the best Wi-Fi thermostats currently on the market.
The ecobee3 smarter thermostat has the capability to turn on cooling or heating temperature based on the consumption of energy in your home as well as the weather outside. It knows when you are at home and when you are not – it then adjusts its functions based on this. It helps in the reduction of the amount of energy you consume, which could be up to 23% annually.
The ecobee3 is home-kit enabled – a feature that allows it to deliver the appropriate temperature to each room based on its profile and has a remote sensor that helps in measuring temperature level and occupancy.
- You can place sensors in different rooms to get the best performance. This product comes with remote sensors that you can place in different rooms so that you can get reports on hot and cold spots and correct them with the right temperature in order to increase your overall comfort.
- It allows you to save on your energy bills. Because of the energy saving features, most users can now save up to 23% of their annual energy consumption. When you set this thermostat at home, you will not only save on heating but also on cooling energy consumption.
- Control your unit from anywhere. It is compatible with iPhone, iPad, and Android devices. Once you install the phone app, you are ready to monitor and track changes in your home while you are away.
- Users have reported temperature sensor inaccuracy. The temperature readings from the main sensors disagree with that of the remote sensors. However, this can only be noticed when you carry out an investigation on the issue.
The ecobee3 thermostat comes with all the necessary features that you need as well as a host of accessories such as a power extender kit, 2 trim plates, a quick start guide, installation guide with wire labels, mounting screws and drywall plugs, and dual-sided adhesives. We recommend this because it is a good value for money.
The Sensi Wi-Fi thermostat can be connected to your home Wi-Fi network and then you can access the control from anywhere using the phone app that comes with the packaging. It has an optional 7-day scheduling that can help you cut down on wasteful energy consumption by regulating cooling and heating while you are away from home.
The installation should take a few minutes to complete with the assistance of the installation guide and video tutorial.
- Control your setting from a remote location. With Wi-Fi connectivity, you can control lighting, cooling and heating at home while you are away on vacation or on business trips. You don’t have to worry about whether you turned off the lighting or other appliances at home properly with the 7-day optional scheduling feature.
- It is easy to install. Unlike other thermostats we have reviewed, this unit comes with an installation video tutorial and an installation guide so as to make setting up as smooth as possible. This is handy for those who have never installed a thermostat before and who don’t want to get the help of a technician.
- It works with electric heat and air conditioning to give you the best experience possible. It comes with dual-fuel heat pump systems without the need for installing other equipment.
- If you don’t have a C wire, you can’t install this system.
It also has cool-only and heat-only systems. These are just like hot water systems that are common in most homes. While this requires a C wire (common wire) to install, you can figure out everything with the assistance of the installation guide and video tutorial.
You can auto schedule this Nest to work without any need for programming. It also has the capability to adjust the temperature at home while you are away from home. It also learns your cooling and heating settings so that it can provide you with maximum comfort. You also have access to remote control as well as the Nest app to control your temperature, check your energy consumption level, etc.
- Control the temperature in any room with the remote control. You can install the Nest app on your phone and control the settings from your smartphone. Furthermore, you can see your energy history, temperature via the app and even receive alert when your home gets too cold or hot.
- Displays the target temperature rather than the current temperature in the room. To view the current temperature you need to look on the outer ring. We would imagine most people would want to see the current room temperature prominently displayed so this is a bit of a design flaw.
- To charge the batteries you will need to connect a common wire to the device otherwise it will only charge when the device is running, i.e. when you are heating or cooling the house.
Using the Nest thermostat ensures you are saving energy efficiently. It learns how you consume energy and helps you modify this if it is going the right way. Overall, this is a nice automatic way of ensuring you don’t leave your home cooling or heating on when you don’t actually need it.
We recommend the ecobee3 Smarter Wi-Fi Thermostat if you are looking for a well-built, high-quality thermostat. It delivers energy report about the home and provides automated reminders and alerts for any changes in temperature. This is handy when there is extreme weather conditions that you need to be aware of. Your package includes 3-year limited warranty from the manufacturer and you can enjoy reports on local weather conditions with no monthly fees.
If you are low on budget, we recommend the Sensi Wi-Fi programmable thermostat, as it is the cheapest on this list. Its affordability does not sacrifice important features — it is just a low-end thermostat that provides the regular features you will find in most units out there.
If you want a thermostat that will learn how you consume energy and gives you the ability to adjust this to be efficient, it is the Nest thermostat. With a sleek design and a sharp display, you have a new robust system to put you on the right track to saving energy efficiently.